Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Money vs. Making Connections (How to Get By)


How to get by as an independent artist on tour?  One word: HOMESTAYS


For the past four nights I have been staying with my awesome friends, David and Ann (to the right).  Before that I was staying with my friend Chris in OK.  In Lubbock, TX I didn't know anybody and so I got a hotel room.

Because of David and Ann's hospitality I was able to profit on my little KS/NE/KC-MO leg of the tour.  Let me explain something.  My average salary per show is $100.  The total I've made in the past 8 days including pay from venues and merchandise sales is $813.  Now, compared to some touring artists this ISN'T BAD.  However, that number is before expenses, so if I were staying in hotels every night I would quite clearly be in the red.

So here is the part where I say THANK YOU CHRIS, DAVID AND ANN!  Because of you I am officially a professional musician.  Your hospitality will not be forgotten.

Sunday June 7th Meadowlark Coffee in Lincoln, NE:

This was the smallest crowd I have performed for yet, on this tour.  What made it awesome was that the people who were there LOVED the show.  Everybody signed up on my mailing list and the staff were sweet and appreciative.  Small shows can be very rewarding as well, and I have faith that the people who were at this show will stay in touch.  It was my very first time playing in Lincoln.

I got an album from one of the other artists who was playing - Andrew Danger Stanley - and I love it!  As a songwriter I am pretty picky about other peoples' songs, and the lyrics were definitely up to par, plus Andrew does a similar thing to me: performs solo and records with a band.  I would recommend his album to everyone.  It's so good :-)  You can find him under the name "Alli and I".




Monday June 8th Californos in Kansas City, MO:

This was a restaurant show and I was only playing for tips.  I didn't know what to expect until the day of, when I realized that some good friends of mine were in town and coming to my show!  I think the restaurant was pretty busy for a Monday night, in fact, I think I was responsible for that.  Turns out it wasn't really a "tipping" sort of venue, so if I were to play there again I would ask for a percentage of the bar or a guarantee.  However, it was a great starting point.  I sold 5 albums and a vinyl record.  And my friends loved the show.  The staff was nice, and the dinner they served me was delicious!  Thumbs up to Californos.






After my show, we decided to get a glass of wine with Frank Sinatra - to the right.






Three of my friends - one from Los Angeles, one from DC, one from Greece, and all with Kansas City in common :-)











In the next week I have five shows all around MO, and one show in AR - stay tuned!  I'll keep you posted :-)
love,
Elle

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous-in-a-good-way that you get to tour around the South!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been quite an eventful trip I've got to say! Definitely a good one :-)

      Delete